Thursday, October 04, 2007

Home to Harmony


No, I'm not going "home" to Harmony's house, I'm talking about a fantastic book! Home to Harmony was on a booklist for Scott's Introduction to Christian Ministry grad class at ACU and he read it and gave it to me to read. It is a fiction book written by a Quaker minister about a Quaker minister and his "flock." The author, Philip Gulley, is very funny and tells great little stories about the town, Harmony, and it's quirky inhabitants. If you've had experience with ministry of any kind, it's even more funny and poignant. Just thought I'd share!

As this was the first book in a series, I took Will to the library with me on Tuesday to get the next couple of books. It was the first time I'd taken him to the library, so we picked him a few books, too. When I went up to the check-out counter to borrow the books, the librarian scanned my library card and asked to see my ID. It seems I hadn't been to the library since 2005. Wow! I knew it had been a while, but two years!? Of course, I have read plenty of books in the past two years, but I guess they were all either borrowed from friends or bought. Well, I've been twice in the past three days, so maybe I'll make up for it soon :)

In other news, we are headed up to Lubbock tomorrow for the LCU Friends and Family, or Family and Founders (or whatever they're calling it) weekend. We're planning on doing the chorus reunion thing, so hopefully that will be fun! My mom is flying in to Lubbock tomorrow night and will be with us for the weekend to help us out with the kids. Then she'll come home with us and stay until Tuesday. In preparation for her taking care of Claire, we have been feeding Claire from a bottle once a day this week. Or I should say Scott has been feeding her. On Monday night she screamed at him for 10 minutes before she would finally eat. He almost gave up, but he persisted! Tuesday night she took it with no fuss. Last night, she did fuss a bit, but it was a different type of bottle, so that may have been the problem. Hopefully, she will eat well for my mom this weekend!

We are very much looking forward to seeing a lot of friends this weekend...if you're going to be in Lubbock, we hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Yay I look forward to seeing you this weekend-love you!! :)

Harmony said...

I'm kind of sad we will be missing it. Say Hi to everyone for us and have a great time.

Daphne said...

It is so true about being in ministry. Yes, we are all to be ministers but some are more directed than others. My girls sometimes felt like 'preacher's kids' during our years of volunteer youth ministry. Others expect you to be perfect and really have no clue of the struggles. But the joy of serving Him is always worth it! Perhaps, especially, in youth ministry. So many of the kids we worked with both in Katy and Magnolia are grown now - in college and/or married, some having kids of their own. The opening of a young person's heart to his/her Savior is a beautiful thing! And praise God they have Him during those tough teen years!

Well, I guess I'm pretty thankful to have Him getting me through each day even at my advanced age and very blessed life!

I am so glad that you have a godly husband determined to serve Him in all things! What a blessing for you and your kids. I know Scott is amazingly blessed to have you serving at his side as are the people you serve!

Your trip to Lubbock sounds like such fun! Have a safe trip and a wonderful time with old friends. I know Terry will have a blast with her babies - the old ones and the young!

Love ya, kid!
Daphne

PS Feel compelled to note that the security letters I have to enter look like but are not quite - whacko!! LOL