Monday, August 28, 2006

The Aftermath

Well, I am finally back. After a very long week of travelling, pictures, first day of "school," computer malfunctions, surgery, and company, I have returned to the Blog-dom.

Let us begin with the trip to Lubbock on Monday. It went well. Chapel was good...I think we were the only ones there with a child, but it was good. Will decided it would be great fun to jabber all through the prayers, etc., but we survived. We got to visit with some old friends and teachers at the reception afterward. The only bad thing about all of this is that Will was extremely tried and ready for his nap.

We also got to visit our good friend Carrie and she was gracious enough to let Will take a nap in her son's bed. We had a good visit and would have liked it to last longer, but unfortunately our appointment to get pictures made came up. Will had only slept for a little over an hour, so he was not too happy about being woken up to have pictures taken. He wasn't in the best of moods during the shoot, but we still managed to get some great shots of him and ordered lots of pictures. As soon as our proofs were ready and we had ordered the pictures we wanted, we headed home. It had been a long (but good) day.

Wednesday was Will's first day of "school" (aka Children's Day Out). The actual first day was last week, but he was a little sick, so we didn't want to risk getting the other kids sick too. He moved to a different class this year--a new room, new teachers, etc. He was not very pleased when I first dropped him off. In fact, he screamed quite a bit. But, he ended up being fine and having a fairly good day. He is only going on Wednesdays this year, so we'll see this week if it'll go any better.

Our computer started to act up last week, too. It would randomly shut down completely while we were in the middle of doing something. It would give no warning--the screen just went black. It was very frustrating. Scott brought his computer from work home for the weekend and that is what I am currently using. It looks like we will be getting a new computer fairly soon.

Thursday morning came very early. Will's surgery was scheduled first on the docket and we had to be there to check in at 6:00. That meant I had to get up at 5:00. Ugh. Not fun! Will did really well and didn't seem phased that he wasn't able to eat. I think he was so tired that it didn't even cross his mind that he was hungry. We had also tried to give him a lot of food the night before so his stomach might seem full for a longer amount of time. He actually went into surgery (well, when they made us leave) at 7:45. At 8:45 it was over and the doctor came out to tell us that it went well and he was doing fine. It was about 9:15 when we actually got to go back and see him. He was very dopey and whimpering. We both felt so bad for him! But we were able to go home by 12:15 and he has been doing great ever since then.

My parents dropped my brother off at college on Friday and made their way to come and see us. It was nice to have them here for a few days. We mainly just stayed in and enjoyed spending time together. My dad and I had a mini Scene It tournament which he evetually won (barely!) and I cooked all of our meals so we didn't have to eat out at all. I think they were slightly impressed with my culinary skills. Anyway...they left this morning at about 10:30. They are going to stop back by my brother's apartment on their way home...one last goodbye for their baby boy.

Scott is in Abilene today getting officially registered and buying books. He was supposed to have a class but after he had already made it about halfway there, the grad deptartment secretary called him and told him that the class was cancelled for the day! Oh well, at least he can get that other stuff done.

I have another busy week ahead of me. Tomorrow I am going to be (hopefully) interviewing a lady for our church's ladies' newsletter that I will then have to finish and mail out. Tomorrow evening we are also having our first young women's bunko night. I am really looking forward to that--it should be fun. I have never played Bunko, but Harmony assures me it is easy. On Wednesday, I am substitute teaching for Leland at BSHS, and on Friday I will be leaving for Amarillo (by way of Lubbock) to have the 5th or 6th (I can't remember!) Labor Day Reunion with Jen and Chelsey. Yea! I can't wait.

Until next time, folks. Hopefully it won't be so long :)

3 comments:

Robby and Lynsey said...

I'm glad Will's surgery went well and that you had fun with friends and family.

On a complete side note: Can I just say "Thank you" for not taking Will to class when he was sick. I know this is random. It would just frustrate me to no end when I worked at a daycare and these children would come in with their eyes practically bleeding out. I think I was 'well' a total of 2 weeks the year that I worked there (not at the same time, of course!) I know it is a lot harder for some people to be able to do this ... but I just wanted to tell you thank you and that you are appreciated more than you know when you CAN do this!! Okay - stepping off my soapbox now! ;)

Terri said...

We were impressed! and they weren't even recipes I gave you. Very yummy, plus everyone should know that Will was very picky with his food on Saturday and the only thing he ate well (other than yogurt)was your spicy entree. We loved being with you guys and helping Will to recover from his surgery. He is SO much fun and such a little boy; it was great to see him walking and talking so much. Have a good girlie weekend :)

preacherman said...

I came across your blog.
I am Kinney Mabry.
I was Youth Minister in Snyder a couple years back.
I was hoping to go to the chapel but we live to far away.
I enjoyed LCU.
I hope all is going well with You and Scott.
Tell Scott I said hello and would for you or him to visit my blog.

God bless your ministry in Big Spring.