Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Freedom

Ahh...today was my last day to sub for the week. I can safely say that my stress level has gone down considerably. I don't mind subbing, but it is hard keeping tabs on those kids (I've been subbing for journalism and they are quite used to leaving the room anytime they please to take pictures, get interviews, etc...)! So, I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Today I had to go to my "girlie" doctor. Is it weird that I enjoy going to see him? No, I wouldn't say that I enjoy the exams, but I do enjoy seeing my doctor. I have been seeing him for about 4 years, and he is the one who told me I was pregnant with Will and later delivered him. I consider him an old pal. We probably talked for 20 minutes just about our kids (he and his wife had triplets in March), all the while I was sitting there freezing my bo-heinie off in the flimsy paper gown. Anyway, it was a good visit. If we ever move away from here, he has to come with me :)

I am so glad that tomorrow and Friday will be "normal" days. I do not have to plan my clothes out tonight. I do not have to get up at 6:45. I do not have to sit for 6 hours in a freezing cold school building. Yea! Will and I are going to relax. Upcoming events this week are: a youth rally on Saturday in Midland, (hopefully) an interview with one of our ladies for the Ladies' Newsletter (I'm still looking for newsletter name ideas, by the way), a Bible study/work-out program at the First Baptist Church for stay-at-home-moms and a doctor appointment on Monday (Will's surgery follow-up), Bunko on Tuesday night (woo-hoo!), and next weekend, my mom is coming to visit to celebrate her birthday with us. Whew...sounds like a lot.

Well, I am off again...it's almost time for dinner and then church. I don't like begging, but give me some feedback, y'all. What do you think about the newsletter? Bunko? Substitute teaching? "Girlie" doctors? Anything...just let me know you're still there :) I'm still here!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still here! I've noticed blogland is quiet lately too. I'll be thinking of newsletter names for you, but I'll warn you that all my ideas will be ridiculously corny.

Noel Green said...

Hi Lauren:)
I'm just bad about commenting, but I'm a faithful reader!

Uh, the only ideas I have are 'taken'. Woman at the Well is one that my mom writes. Does that spark anything for you?

As far as the other 2 things (subbing and dr.), I would rather die than do/see either:). You're a better woman than I!

Lauren said...

Celeste,

Sometimes when I am in a classroom filled with disrespectful teenagers, I would rather die too. But, it's not so bad and I am helping my friends (plus, I get paid a little, too). As for the doctor, I would like to reitterate that I do NOT like the exam part :)

Some of my ideas for the newsletter name have been:

Anew, Abundance, Blessed or Blessings, Happenings, "Main" Woman (since we are 14th and Main...horrid, I know..) and a few others that are too terrible to mention. Woman at the Well is great! Drat!

I welcome any ideas, corny and what-not! Thanks :)

Robyn said...

Well, I'm not good with names for newsletters, and I had a girl doctor appointment this week too that I'm still bitter about, so I have nothing to offer you other than a hello to let you know that I'm out here reading your blog faithfully too! :)

Have a FUN couple of days with your sweet boy at home!

Larissa said...

I'll have to think on the names. As for the girlie doctor, it's so important to have one you love. I like mine. It's funny how I remember I had to go to one when I was in High School, and I literally was dripping with sweat about going. And now that I've had kids, it's like a breeze. I mean, I don't LIKE it, but once you been poked and prodded so many times, it's nothing to show your goods to someone you only see once a year! I have to go next month!

Anonymous said...

Several thoughts:

Glad you posted dear, it's sad to check everyday and find nothing new.

A note for your girlfriends who read your blog and comments section. Do not make the assumption that a female OB/Gyn will be more compassionate because she "knows what you're going through". As a nurse, I have heard that comment and then seen in practice many compassionate male doctors. Gender does not make one compassionate. I have also seen very umcompassionate and rough female doctors.

On a personal note, I have had the same Gyn Dr. since Lauren was 3mos. old and then I also worked for him while I was in nursing school. It is really nice to have a long term relationship with a Dr. (even possible in a town of 4 million). I, however, am currently 2 years overdo for my "annual" and mammogram (another story-can you say ouch!).

Anonymous said...

i still think you should use chritliche damen (you can include the kappa stick figure if you want to i guess) for the women's reader thing. I hope Will is doing better

Larissa said...

I don't have a problem with male ob/gyn docs but I personally do not feel comfortable with a male. It freaks me out a little. But I do agree, that not all women are gentle just b/c they are women, and they "know".

And I don't think you should call the paper christliche damen...but I'm probably a little biased. :)

Lauren said...

Larissa,

I was always of the opinion that I would never feel comfortable with a male doctor until I moved here and realized I had no choice. There are no female OB/Gyn's in Big Spring. We have some regular doctors, nurse practicioners, and physician's assistants who are female and can do the exam, but for real OB/Gyn stuff, you have to see one of the two males. I was a little freaked out about it at first, but he really has been the best doctor and I always feel comfortable (you know what I mean) with him.