Saturday, February 24, 2007

Beth Moore Live! (Via Satellite) :)

I was asked by a friend to post about the Beth Moore simulcast I went to today. It was, of course, awesome. They said that they were reaching around 100-150,000 people today, which is pretty amazing. Over 500 different places were doing simulcasts. It was a blessing to be a part of it.

The worship leader was really good; I thought he would have done really well on Broadway. He had one of those Broadway-type voices--big, beautiful, lots of verbratto, able to hold really long notes, etc. His name is Travis Cottrell. The rest of the worship team was excellent, too. They sang a lot of songs I didn't know, but I did know a few or was able to catch on.

I went by myself, so at first I sat by myself. At our site, there were only about 70 people (quick background--the First Baptist Church in our area recently went through a pretty devastating split; they lost about 250 members, including their pastor, youth minister, and two other staff members. So, attendance was low, I think because of this) so it was pretty obvious I was by myself. A teacher from the high school where I used to work had me come and sit with her, so that was nice; I didn't have to sit alone. The only bad part about today was that the wind here was HORRIBLE (with gusts up to 62 mph). I had to put that in all caps and bold so I could really convey how bad it was. The sky was brown. Even if you closed your mouth when walking outside, you still got dirt in it. This is how bad it was. Anyway, because of the wind, the satellite feed wasn't so good. At one point, right after Beth got up to speak, the lights went out and the feed went completely off. Thankfully, she was still doing intro-type stuff. After lunch (which I'm sure everyone fervently prayed during lunch for God to calm the winds), the feed was much better and hardly acted up at all. Yea!

Beth Moore is just an incredible speaker. She can make you laugh (for those of you who know about her "hair ministry," she did quite a lot of that at the beginning), she can make you feel like she is speaking directly to you and about you, and she can definitely make you shed tears, whether of joy, appreciation, heartache, or pain. It was a really great experience for me. She was teaching on deliverance and letting God deliver us out of our respective "pits." I'm sure her book is awesome (titled "Get Out of That Pit"), and I hope to get it, maybe when it comes out in paperback or I can get it used. I just don't have the bucks to spend on it right now, but I would really love to read it someday. Today's simulcast made me really want to go and hear her speak live; God really can use this woman to speak to people--it's really just awesome. I recommend you go and see her if you ever get the chance, or go to a simulcast. I think you would really enjoy it.

As for the rest of our day, it was great, even though the weather was quite hellish! Will spent the better part of the day with one of his former Bible-class teachers and had a good time. Scott was busy getting ready for a scavenger hunt with the youth tonight. The hunt ended up at a restaurant where we met him for dinner with the kids. It was fun even though we didn't get our food until after 8:15! I feel like I just got home even though I've been home for almost an hour now. I hope everyone else's Saturday was as blessed as mine has been. Have a good Sunday!

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Hey! Thanks for the report! I'll send you my copy if you want to read. I am done with it. Just let me know!

It was "brown" here too...so horrible!!! My allergies are now acting up because of it.

And I know what you mean, it's hard to know something encouraging to say in times when someone is passing on...it's just the part of life that we all have to deal with that isn't very fun.