Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Motherhood

Being a mother is so rewarding. You get to see your child discover life everyday in new and different ways. The tiniest things become gigantic milestones and you can't help but feel pride when they accomplish something new.

Being a mother can also be heartbreaking. When your child is sick and you cannot physically take away their pain, it's almost as if it hurts you just as much. Will is a wonderfully sweet and good natured baby (even when he is sick!), but oh, it is so gut-wrenching to see him feeling so terrible.

On Friday, Will started getting sick with a stomach bug. Yesterday, we thought he was out of the woods, but he seems to still be feeling really bad and is barely eating or drinking anything. I left work early today to pick him up from Mother's Day Out and called the doctor's office at ten to 3:00 to speak to the nurse. I wanted to ask some questions, remind her of our visit on Friday, and see if she thought it was serious enough for him to come in. It is now 4:01 and she still hasn't called me back. I know they have patients to see and probably about 50 other calls to return to mothers who are just as worried as I am, but doesn't she understand? This is MY baby we're talking about! I want answers! I want to know if he's okay! I want to know if I should be worried at all! So, I called back at 3:45. The receptionist told me that they were with patients until 4:15 and that it might be 5:00 before they can return my call. So, that means if he is really still sick and they need to see him right away, I'll have to go to the ER instead of the doctor's office. Argh! The insanity of it all...

Hopefully, everything is going to be okay and they'll tell me I'm worried for no reason. Let's pray that's the case.

By the way, I got sick with the same bug on Saturday, so my cleaning/errand-running-weekend didn't happen yet again! Thankfully, Scott didn't get infected, so he got a lot done by himself. What a great husband, huh?

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, alas, the trials of motherhood. A few sad, heartaching times mixed in with bunches of joyful, glorious times. Together they equal the joy of being a parent. Enjoy EVERY moment of your precious son.