Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Soaked


My mother has told me I need to update, so here I am. I decided to give everyone a break from me for a few days because of my incredibly long previous post, but here I am, back to haunt you. For new and exciting Will news, click here. I have just updated that blog as well.

On Sunday night, our youth group had a devo at a member's home. Sunday was a warm, sunny day--perfect for outdoor games where you get all wet and disgusting, right? That was what we thought. We told the kids to wear/bring clothes that could get wet, stained and nasty. Most of them chose to abide by this warning. Some, however, did not.

The host family had prepared "Survivor" type relay games. The first was a puzzle, then digging through jello with their feet to find marbles...then the water balloons came out. At first, they played the actual game with the balloons. Then, all of their carnal instinct kicked in. They went pyscho on each other. The garden hose was brought into play. Everything so far had taken place in the front yard...did I mention that this particular family has a pool in their backyard?

The pool had not been cleaned since last summer, so over the winter it had developed a swampy, murky color. It was so green that you couldn't see through the water at all. Needless to say, it was nasty water. Of course, since a pool was nearby, and more so because it was so dirty (I think), the kids decided it was necessary to jump in, whether forcibly or voluntarily. So, every kid (but one--I think they will later seek revenge against him) was completely soaked to the skin. Remember I said that Sunday was supposed to be warm and sunny? Well, the wind had picked up a bit and it was a bit cooler than we expected it to be. I was completely dry and was chilly (not saying much for me, I know) so I couldn't imagine being soaked trough.

Fortuanately, the family also has an outdoor fire pit, so they were able to spend the rest of the devo huddled around the fire since they were too wet and gross to come inside and eat. We also brought them old blankets, hot cocoa, and coffee to keep warm. It was quite a scene. Thankfully Will and I got inside the house before it got too crazy!

So, remember, if you are told to bring old clothes to an event of some sort, heed the warning. You never know if you'll get dumped in nasty pool water!

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Those are great memories!! :)