Sunday, April 02, 2006

Crazy Day

Actually, I should say "crazy days"...I am totally worn out! This weekend I hostessed a shower in Lubbock (2 hours away from my house) for my friend Carrie.

The craziness started yesterday when both my friend Kara and I were late getting to Lubbock. We were supposed to meet there and get the hostess gift together (we gave the mom-to-be a big basket full of baby necessities) and then meet Carrie for dinner. One of the items we needed was the actual basket in which to put all the goodies. We didn't get done shopping for the goodies until almost 8:00 pm and we needed to get the basket from Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby closes at 8:00 pm and isn't open on Sundays! So I drove like a mad woman (not much different than how I normally drive) over to Hobby Lobby to get the basket. I ran up to the door and the little old man manager said, "Sorry, m'am, we're closed." I put on my most pitiful looking face and said, "Please, please, please, let me in there! I just need to get one thing!" He looked like he felt bad for me, so I milked it a little more. I pooched out my lower lip. "What do you need?" he said. "A big basket," I replied. "How long will it take you?" he asked. "5 minutes! 5 minutes, I promise!" He let me in! I ran to get a basket. They did not have the type of basket I was looking for. So I grabbed the closest thing to what I wanted and proceeded to stand in the checkout line for about 10 minutes. I think they train their cashiers to be slow.

So, I met the girls at Chili's for dinner. By the time we got seated it was about 8:25. We finally got our drinks at 8:35 and we sat there for about 10 or 15 more minutes without a server coming by to get our order. Mind you, we had a 8 month pregnant woman and two very tired little children with us. Finally the server came by and said we had "fallen through the cracks" and apologized about a hundred times while taking our order. The manager came by and told us that we would get half-off on our ticket and our appetizer for free! Woo hoo! Our bill was about $12.00. Sweet action.

Now for the real craziness. Last night, Kara and I both set the alarms on our phones to go off at 7:00/7:30, thinking the time would switch over during the night. Neither of our phones switched with the time change! So we woke up an hour later than we meant to. We still had to get ourselves ready, her kids ready, pack up our stuff, and check out of the hotel. We were trying to get to church which started at 9:30.

We got to the church building at about 9:50; late, yes, but still there. On the outside of the building, it has three start times for worship: 8:15, 10:45, and 11:30. Not 9:30. The phone book we had checked twice the night before had it wrong! Grr! So we decided to go to McDonalds to get some breakfast before the 10:45 service. On the way to McDonalds, Kara's daughter threw up the juice she'd had earlier that morning. So, while Kara took her daughter to Walmart to get her some new clothes, her son and I went to McDonalds to eat breakfast.

Pretty much our whole day went like this...crazy!! I could tell you lots more, but I'll stop here. I'm just glad the shower went over well...Carrie got lots of great clothes and other items. We had a good time with her and some other friends from college. This was also my first night without Will since he has been born, so it was sort of a milestone for us. He had a good time with his dad, so it all worked out really well. Yea!

6 comments:

Larissa said...

Wow Lauren...you and Kara looked normal today for all that happening to yall! Good to see you!

Lauren said...

Larissa,

I'm so glad we looked normal! I was so stressed out...I guess I'm a little bit better at acting than I thought I was! :) It was good to see you although I'm sorry we didn't really get to visit; I was busy with the whole hostess thing. I think I like being just a plain guest better :) But, for Carrie, I'd do it again.

Unknown said...

Wow, I got tired just reading that!

Robby and Lynsey said...

Tell Carrie congrats!!! I think I heard through the "grapevine" that they were pregnant (I'm assuming its the same Carrie!) What is she having?
HOpe you can get some rest!

Lauren said...

Adam,
I know!! I'm still tired!

------------------------------

Lynsey,
Yes, it is the same Carrie (T.); they are having a boy! His name will be Branson. She is due on May 6th and is ready to have him anytime!

Robby and Lynsey said...

I'm so glad that they are getting a boy!! How clever to name him Branson - I like that a lot!!