Monday, January 28, 2008

Put the Passy in the Trash-y


I'm a little afraid to post about this because I could jinx the whole thing, but Will has been pacifier-free for about 36 hours (give or take). We decided to try an incentive to get him to give up the pacifier. We've been reading a book for a couple of months now called "Pacifiers are not Forever," and talking about how we'll need to throw it away soon.


On Saturday I went to Toys R Us and bought him something I knew he really wanted...Mack the truck from the movie "Cars." His cousin Cade has this truck and he fell in love with it when we visited with Cade this summer. It's very fancy; you open it up and it has all this stuff for Lightning McQueen--a bathroom, weight room, refrigerator...yeah, pretty crazy. Anyway, I wasn't going to show it to him until later but he found it on Saturday night. I told him that we would open it when he decided to throw his pacifiers away. At first he was all for it, but I knew he would want to get them right back out of the trash. So we discussed (several times) that once the pacifiers go in the trash, we don't get them back out. The trash-man will come and take them to the dump and they'll be gone forever. So, he then said, "I will tell the trash-man that I need it." So we had to discuss further that it doesn't quite work that way.


Anyway, he really wanted to open Mack, so he threw his pacifiers in the trash. That night, he went to bed really well and didn't even mention his pacifier. He didn't even wake up in the night asking for it. Then yesterday afternoon he did ask for it and we just went through it all again and I told him they were gone. Same thing happened last night. But, we've stood firm, which is what we have to do and haven't given in. We couldn't even if we wanted to, though, since he threw all the passies away and I refuse to buy more! So, REJOICE with me everyone and say a little prayer for Will as he has lost a good friend. But, it's a very good thing and we are so very proud of our growing boy!

6 comments:

Marta said...

Hope that Will continues to do well without his pacifier! Wish they had a book to encourage kids to stop sucking their thumbs... can't throw those in the trash unfortunately! :)

opalessence said...

Wow! That's great. Way to stand firm- I guess consistency is the key! Yay for Will!

Lauren said...

It's been 72+ hours now! He has asked for it several times (mainly when he's really tired or bored), but we've just kept reminding him that we don't have them anymore; they're gone and we won't get them back. He's doing really well!

Amy said...

Way to be! Foot loose and Passie free!
You've been tagged. Go to my blog for details. It's not very interesting, and you don't have to, but I really think you should. You know, to be cool like all the other bloggers.
Also, take the word verification off. I promise everything will be just fine. :)

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

That is so cute! I pray it continues to be a success:)

Cheri said...

Yeah! I agree with Marta, isn't as easy with fingers and thumbs. Though Taelor gave it up on her own without us really ever knowing it. She was just done all of a sudden. Granted, she was 4!!!