Monday, July 10, 2006

Katy Trip and Movie Reviews

We survived the trip and are back at home. Scott had to do an overhaul on this computer, but for the time being, it is working! I am taking the opportunity to give a (hopefully) quick update.

It rained almost the entire time we were in Katy. Argh! We still got in the pool four or five times, though. We just had to take advantage of the sunlight as soon as it was possible. I was able to visit with one of my best friends from high school, Heather, on Thursday. She and her two kids came over to swim and we had a good time catching up. I can't believe her daugther will soon be seven years old. Where does the time go?

I also went to go see Superman Returns. If you like Superman/Clark Kent, it was quite a good flick. Brandon Routh was a great Superman--it is uncanny how much like Christopher Reeve he looked, acted, and sounded. And Kevin Spacey was a great Lex. But Scott and I agree that if Parker Posey had had about 5 more minutes on-screen, she would have stolen the show. She is hilarious. Anyway, Superman was good.

Will had a couple of firsts this week--and not good ones! On Wednesday when we were swimming, I was holding Will and looked down to see a bee on his hand. I immediately swatted it away and looked to see if it had stung him. He wasn't crying or anything...just looking down at his hand curiously. I got the bee out of the water and my brother looked at it. He said it was a baby bee but had no stinger. Will's hand did look red and had a tiny red dot on it. So, evidently, he did get stung by the bee, but not much damage was done.

Later that night (actually in the wee hours of the morning), Will woke up quite wet and his pajamas were soaked through. I got him up and changed him into a different diaper and clothes and put him in the (queen-sized) bed with me. Even though he was in the middle of the bed, he kept tossing and turning and inching closer and closer to the opposite side of the bed. We were sleeping in my brother's room in which the bed is not up against a wall on either side. On the floor below the side of the bed to which Will was heading was a mirror. I, in my half-asleep stupor, grabbed for Will's leg but it was too late. He fell head-first off the bed with a huge crash. He, of course, fell on top of the mirror! I immediately scooped him up and checked for bleeding and broken bones. He, thank heaven, was completely intact. Of course, it scared the hooey out of him and he screamed for a couple of minutes. It must not have been too traumatizing, though, becuase he went back to sleep fairly quickly. I on the other hand, lost a lot of sleep that night because I was very aware of every little twitch he made. As soon as I was confident that he was sound asleep, I put him back in the portacrib. Frightening!!!

We also got to see our friends Kathy, Matt and Patrick on Saturday. They, too, came over to swim, but we had been in the pool no longer than 10 minutes when it started to pour! So, we ended up just visiting inside for a while. It was good to see them again. Patrick has grown so much since we saw him last! He's a cutie.

Sunday was our last day. Our flight was to leave at 2:35 and land at 4:00. But, of course, that didn't quite happen. We were delayed at first because our plane wasn't there. When our plane finally arrived, they told us that our crew was in College Station! The crew arrived fairly quickly and we boarded at 3:45. We then sat in runway traffic for 45 minutes. I think our flight finally landed around 6:00. Wow...what a day. I am just very glad that Will decided to take a nap during most of the flight :)

We were sooooooo glad to see "Daddy" (Scott). We hadn't see him in a long time and it was a nice reunion. Will's face just lit up when he spotted Scott. Then, he was so excited to see him that Scott had to hold him just about the whole time we were in the airport waiting for our bags to come out of the chute. It was so wonderful to see that it made the frustrating afternoon at the airport and on the plane just dissipate from my mind. It was so good to be home!

Tonight, my friends Harmony and Shannon and I went to Midland to share a meal and see Pirates of the Caribbean. Wow...what a movie! It was quite intense...and...gross. But, it was still good! The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, so I am anxious to see the third installment next summer. I think if you liked the first one, you'd like this one, but I wouldn't take little kids to see it...it might cause some disturbing dreams!

Well, the time is late and I am tired from my little trip back to Midland! I have a busy week of cleaning and errands ahead of me, so I am signing off for now...love to all~~

1 comment:

Harmony said...

I'm glad you had a good time in Katy. Spending time with family is always a nice treat.

We need to have more girls nights out also. I really enjoyed the movie and the company. :)