Thursday, October 12, 2006

Weirdest Thing I've Heard All Week

Yesterday I was catching up on some ironing while Will was at Children's Day Out. I set up my ironing board in the den and turned on the TV for background noise. The Rachel Ray Show was on and she was introducing a guest/story about a woman who was about to turn 50. Well, that in itself isn't too fascinating; women turn 50 every day. But this woman was different. She had never been married, nor even engaged in her life. She was very satisfied with who she was as a person, though, and had decided earlier in life that if she wasn't married by the time she turned 50, she was going to marry herself. Excuse me? What?? Yes, you heard me correctly. The woman is going to marry herself in a "personal commitment ceremony." She is having a full blown wedding complete with the white dress, bridesmaids, reception, et al, except one very obvious factor: a groom.

Okay, I understand that this woman is proud of herself and secure in her own femininity and choices for herself, but is this not creepy weird to anyone else? Why not just have a huge 50th birthday party and go all out in that? No, she wants to commit to herself that she is going to take care of herself in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, in good times and bad, etc.

This is very strange to me. What do y'all think??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bizzaro! That woman is obviously self-absorbed. She doesn't need a ceremony for others to see she's committed to herself. I wonder how many people will actually go to the ceremony..?

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's totally weird and self-centered. It sounds like if she can't have the wedding she's always dreamed of, she'll just throw it for herself anyway. This is just an excuse to wear a pretty white dress. But, hey, it got her on TV!

Robyn said...

I agree . . . that's strange! A huge birthday bash would have been a better way to go. Thanks for sharing such a strange event! I wonder if it will become all the rage for single women across the country?